Mural, "There Was Vision"
Location: Post Office, 154 W. Park Avenue
The post office at 154 W. Park Avenue opened in 1935. George Melville Smith painted the mural "There Was Vision" depicting the frontier roots of Elmhurst, and it was hung in the post office in 1937. The mural was commissioned by the U. S. Treasury Department, Section of Painting and Sculpture, a New Deal arts project established by President Franklin D. Roosevelt's administration to provide funds for the creation of original art works for Federal buildings constructed 1934-1944. Murals by Smith adorn other public buildings in the Midwest.