World War 1 Elmhurst Veterans Memorial
Memorial dedicated to three Elmhurst residents who were killed in action in World War 1. The memorial was originally located in the northwest corner of Wilder Park and was dedicated in 1927. T.H.B. Post 187 re-dedicated this memorial to the memory of those who gave their lives in freedom's name in 1977.
The plaque reads:
IN SACRED MEMORY/30-May-27/THESE THREE TREES WERE PLANTED AND DEDICATED BY THE MEMBERS OF T.H.B. POST NO. 187 OF THE AMERICAN LEGION AND THE CITIZENS OF ELMHURST IN MEMORY OF ERNEST H. TIMROTT, RICHARD HINTZ, KINGSLEY C. BUCK WHO WERE KILLED IN ACTION DURING THE GREAT WAR OF 1914-1918. ALSO A TRIBUTE TO THOSE OF ELMHURST WHO SERVED IN THE STRUGGLE FOR DEMOCRACY. THEIRS NOT TO REASON WHY THEIRS BUT TO DO OR DIE TENNYSON There is a plaque on the other side of the boulder when T.H.B. Post 187 American Legion rededicated the plaque in 1977: FOR GOD, COUNTRY
AND THE MEMORY OF
THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES
IN FREEDOM’S NAME
T.H.B. POST 187
REDEDICATES IT’S (sic) EFFORTS.
MAY 30, 1977
Location: At the entrance to the Veterans Memorial in Wilder Park, south of the Wilder Mansion